Thursday, August 6, 2009

Early Days in Eastern Africa




Taken from Kenyan Journal Day 2 On the Job:


Insaine is an understatement when talking about the pace of life here in Kenya. I have found time to sleep, though it has taken me a while to adjust to the 8 hour time difference. I tend to wake up at odd hours throughout the night and get tired in the afternoon.


The first day on the job, I documented the medical camp which was held at Imani Baptist Church in an area called Karanji. It was fantastic and overwhelming. We served 241 people and had to turn away another hundred or so. The next day they were expecting 500 people. I met so many people and experianced their genuineness and kindness. One woman, Anne, told me over and over how blessed they were to have us there. We talked for about fifteen minutes and then she had to leave. She hugged me and then said, "You are my daughter." It made me cry, they are so welcoming.

Another girl I met is named Lucy, she's 22 and very much fun. we spent time together a lot that first day.

I was proposed to by a Kenyan man for his son as well that day. It was very strange. He talked to me for a long time and then told me to come to his house to meet his engineer son so that we could get married. He said, "You should marry an african." I skirted the question and ran away as soon as I could.


Today I followed the orphan group, who did VBS type things at a place called Gashie, which is the nearest slum. The kids were adorable and absolutely loved the skits and things. Once again, I got more footage than I will ever use. It's been a great adventure so far. I am so blessed to be able to experiance this. Several have already been saved through our being here. God is moving and working in Kenya.



Photos: Top is two people on the team working with the orphan children. Left is a child sitting in front of the bathrooms. These are the normal bathrooms in Kenya - squatty pottys, which are simply a hole in the ground.

0 comments: