Thursday, December 4, 2008

Examining The Serious Side

Having Celiac's Disease is tough. Having a combination of Celiac's Disease and Lactose Intollerance is even tougher. I sit in this coffee shop, smelling the beautiful aromas of hazelnut lattes and almond mochas. People walk by me carying plates stacked with scones and turnovers. Flakey, buttery crust sizzling from just having spent twenty minutes in the oven. The scent of fresh blueberry muffins reaches my nose and I can almost remember the taste. Almost.

Let's take a break and define this widely unknown disease. According to a source far more eloquent than I am:

"Celiac disease is an autoimmune digestive disease that damages the villi of the small intestine and interferes with absorption of nutrients from food. What does this mean?
Celiac disease is triggered by consumption of the protein called gluten, which is found in wheat, barley and rye.

When people with celiac disease eat foods containing gluten, their immune system responds by damaging the fingerlike villi of the small intestine. When the villi become damaged, the body is unable to absorb nutrients into the bloodstream, which can lead to malnourishment. "

There was a time in my life, only a year ago, when I could have indulged in whatever my heart desired. A sundried tomato scone and a hazelnut milkyway would have been a regular treat for me as I worked on homework here at one of my favorite haunts. Now, however, it would throw me into intense pain for several days - occasionally even up to a week - after the initial indulgence.

I ate a piece of pizza last night. It was the first in months. I nearly did not go to class this morning because of the pain. Was it worth it? Not really.

There are worse things in this world to live with. I keep reminding myself of that. A dear friend of mine is going in for heart surgery, one of several, this month. She is 22 years old and has had health problems all of her life. Another friend of mine had a brain tumor. My disease limits the foods I can enjoy, but is not terminal. I enjoy a wonderful life in spite of having to avoid many foods.

And now it is time to take another Alka-Seltzer and count my blessings instead of crying over those things I don't have.

Cheers!

5 comments:

Michael Horvath said...

Amen. Sometimes it's all how we look at things.

P Maillet said...

I've had a lot of trauma in my life. But God revealed to me the secret of happiness: it's in focusing on what I DO have, and ignoring what I don't have. I've been practicing this principle for a long time now and it sure does work!

Carrie Amie said...

Wow, I had no idea. Smell is a wonderful thing that can torment us so much!

SimpleeMe said...

God will help us :-)Nice blog!Check mine out...

William H. Balzac said...

A positive attitude & a lesson for all!

Great post.

Keep on smiling.:)

`x~William.