Sunday, November 30, 2008

A Violent Shove into Chaos

As a society, we usually encourage keeping Chaos tightly locked in the closet along with the broom, dust bunnies and any laundry that we haven't gotten done. Organization is lifted onto its pedistal and is the ultimate goal. Order is what we, as human beings, strive for. Many of us would describe ourselves as somewhat chaotic, but even we have struggle for a sense of balance within us - even if it doesn't make sense to everyone else.

On this ordinary Sunday morning, I was feeling quite at peace with myself and my decision to push myself a little bit out of my comfort zone. I had agreed to lead sunday morning worship with the praise team at church. This team consists of four ladies, myself included, and a pianist. I hadn't sang in front of people in a long time, so my nerves were on edge.

As I sat down in the back row, my usual spot, I congratulated myself for this much progress. Maybe next year I would step out from behind the music stand and out from the crowd and do a solo. Nope. Maybe a duet.

I had no idea that I'd be given a violent shove from the music stand in about ten minutes.

Apparantly somebody had opened the closet door and let Chaos out for some air that morning. Everybody that usually led the more serious part of the worship service was either sick or on vacation. Nobody was there to take their place. So it fell to me and my friend to lead a congragation of people three times our age to worship. We stood up there, alone, with only a hymn book between us and the people in the front row.

Needless to say I was stretched a little today. I guess the moral of this story is that sometimes, when you agree to give a little you end up giving a whole lot. So when you open the door an inch, be prepared for it to be flung open wide. Or to be unceremoniously shoved into something you weren't expecting.

1 comments:

P Maillet said...

Came here via the Blogger Coffee Cafe.

You write very well. I'm pretty much a browser, but I found myself reading the whole thing.

Nice blog! Good job!